A sitz bath is a warm, shallow bath that cleanses and soothes the perineum. It provides relief from pain, itching, haemorrhoids and tears from child birth and labour.
After going through labour and having your baby, you are going to be sore, swollen, achey, and may also experience perineal tearing.
Why have a take a Sitz Bath?
Soaking in Bubba Bump’s Sitz tub and using Bubba Bump’s sitz soak will help relieve constipation, reduce any perineal trauma and swelling, help alleviate itchiness and rid yourself of those pesky haemorrhoids.
They’re especially recommended for women who have recently given birth vaginally as the temperature of the water used in a sitz bath increases blood flow to the perineal area and promotes faster healing.
By sitting in our ergonomic and specially designed tub you can relieve your itchiness as you heal, cleanse yourself effectively and help to ward off infections as you recover from the marathon of pregnancy, labour and childbirth.
How to take a Sitz Bath
Bubba Bump’s Sitz Bath fits effortlessly on top of your toilet meaning taking a sitz bath is easy as 1, 2 3. No bath is needed – just your sitz bath, sitz soak and water. Once done soaking, our smart design means you just tip it down the loo and fold it down into its discreet design. No mess and ultimate postpartum healing!
- Lift the toilet lid and seat. Place your sitz bath bowl on the rim of your toilet. Make sure the bowl is firmly in place and won’t move around.
- Fill the sitz bath bowl with lukewarm water (NOT HOT) The water should cover your perineum. Make sure the water temperature is comfortable. Any discomfort discontinue use immediately.
- Add your postpartum sitz soak to the water (always check ingredients and do a patch test first)
- The bowl has slots in the back. This lets water flow out so it doesn’t overflow onto the floor and allows easy clean up once done.
- Gently sit down on the sitz bath bowl. Hold on to a railing or ask for help from a family member, friend, or caregiver if needed.
If you have a wound, the water may cause pain at first, but the pain should ease. Make sure the area that needs treating is under the water. ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IF YOU HAVE ANY HESITATIONS OR CONCERNS.
- Sit in the water for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add more warm water as needed to keep the water comfortable.
- Get up slowly from the tub or toilet. Hold on to a railing. Or ask for help from a family member, friend, or caregiver if needed.
- Gently pat your anal area, perineum, and genitals dry with a clean towel. Don’t rub the area.
- Wash your hands.
- Wash the bathtub or sitz bath bowl with soap and water after each use.
- Use a sitz bath 2 to 3 times a day, or as often as your healthcare provider advises.
Sitz baths have healing properties which include:
Increasing blood flow to the perineum, vulva, vagina, etc. Warm water increases blood flow, which can help promote healing and reduce swelling.
Increased blood flow and soothing properties can also help relieve itching and pain.
Aids in healing haemorrhoids.
Promotes relaxation which can help with cramping, constipation and overall discomfort.
Warmth can help relax sore pelvic muscles.
Cleanses the area which can feel a bit yucky with the combination of lochia (postpartum bleeding and discharge), sweating, and wearing a sanitary pad.
How soon after childbirth can I have a sitz bath?
Always check with your healthcare provider as to what they recommend. Most often within the first couple of days is ok but always run it past your healthcare team first.
Included is a discreet carry and storage case.